Tuesday, August 17, 2004

If you die, you did it wrong!

In seconds, if one does not successfully place their M-40 gas mask on during a chemical or biological attack, it is likely that person will be dead. So, the quote from the class today I remember the most is "If you die, you did it wrong."

The first part of the morning was spent with a last stop dental check. I got out early and went to NBC: Nuclear, Biological and Chemical weapons. Fun stuff for all. And if you don't pay attention you get more than a "F." We learned about these weapons and how to put on our masks.

There are all sorts of government workers here. Each wears their ID card around their neck. I wear my burning man lamenent and flame pass from last year. For those of you that do not know me, that was my job before this and helped me land my work in Iraq. I am used to the heat. More info on Burningman can be found at the website http://www.burningman.com In addition to the burning man ID from working DPW the past few years, I wear my Chupacabra Policia badge.

I have taken detailed notes on all the subjects. Unlike most of the people here that are military or former military, this my first time for some of this material. It is very intense to be aware that I am going into this war zone in a matter of days, by choice, and I have to remember all this training, or fall victim to natural selection.

I am the first person from my company to go through this training so I am writing up a brief for the rest of the recruits that follow after me. For instance, it was not clear that we needed all of our medical records. And we were not told that we would be issued a number of things, like two pair of boots, a sleeping bag and a bunch of clothes, which I got today with my gas mask (on Thursday I get the prescription lenses for it.)

My arms are very soar from the shots yesterday. I went through the list and it is big. Maybe I will post it sometime. It looks like the training from here is mainly briefings. Unless you got issued guns, which being an A/C project Coordinator, I did not. It was funny watching who got guns. They are by definition, MERCENARIES. I understand our government is going more and more that route. What was funny is that some of the more decrepit, gray haired hunchback old men were the ones given guns. I would be worried about them taking out a heavy bag of trash. Their guns were not loaded but they were waving them thoughtlessly around as they staggered to the bus with all the gear. I was nervous and a bit sad. Of course, even worse are the contractors here that are 300+. That 120 degree in shade heat might take off a few pounds, before they die of heat stroke.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home