Monday, August 16, 2004

THE MOTTO FOR MY PLATOON: Listen, Learn Survive

Last night I was briefed on OPSEC (Operational Security) by the military after we sang the pledge of allegiance in front of a big flag. It was like the flag in THE PEOPLE VS LARRY FLYNT. Crazy shit. Anyway, I was told that I can take about what I do here for the most part except a few things which I will not mention. For instance, if we had a class on how to hook jumper cables to an Arab's balls, I would not be able to take about how many people were in the class and when they were going to Iraq to help the people.
So, I am going through the CONUS REPLACEMENT CENTER (CRC). There are only two. The other is at Fort something or other. Maybe Bragg. I'll have to check my notes. CONUS is the Continental United States. This is the troop replacement center. Now, all contractors are going through this, too. I train side by side the soldiers. So, today was a bunch of medical stuff and the ever fun Anthrax Shots and Small Pox Vaccinations. I have many hours under the tattoo gun. All the shots I got, plus blood work (10? 13? needles?) was nothing. After hours in line and papers and forms and shots and such, we bused over for a first responder refresher course, as in first one to respond to someone who just had the shit blowed out them. I have taken CPR numerous times. But this was the low down. And they don't mess with CPR. If someones burned up, brains hanging out, etc, CPR is useless. We trained on Bleeding from IED (improvised explosive devices) head and chest wounds, etc and shock, plus heat stroke. From what the guys said that were over there shit is awful, everywhere. Green Zone, or not. I'll write more later. The shots make me feel a little queasy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home